Might as well just set the Constitution and Bill of Rights on fire..
![]()
DETROIT - Some Arab- and Muslim-Americans say new Justice Department guidelines that boost the FBI's power to investigate suspected terrorists could target innocent people.
The revised guidelines going into effect Monday will allow agents to use undercover sources to gather information, interview people without identifying themselves and spy on suspects without evidence of wrongdoing.
Critics say the rules will allow for abuses, including more racial and religious profiling.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here
"That's an extraordinary power," said Mike German, a former FBI agent who now advises the American Civil Liberties Union.
"There is anxiety the Middle Eastern community will be targeted," said lawyer Nabih Ayad, who has defended a number of Arab Americans charged in national security cases. "There is always a danger in the implementation when you give such discretion in the hands of agents."
Current rules date to the 1970s
Federal officials say current rules came about in the 1970s and limit their ability to investigate people in national security cases.
FBI agents have met twice with community leaders to assure them they won't be targeted, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Andrew Arena, special agent in charge of the FBI in Detroit said there would be no profiling under the new regulations.
"Every agent in the FBI is going to be trained on these guidelines," he said. "The concern in the community is that there's going to be abuses, and it's going to open up the possibility of profiling. We're not going to allow that to happen."
Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said, "At the end of the day, the FBI is not going to open an investigation simply on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27986133/
Might as well just set the Constitution and Bill of Rights on fire..
![]()
Target the Arabs, the Muslims...they are our potential enemies. If they whine about it, tell them to carry their sorry carcasses back to Allah land.
I don't believe that is very fair. Not all are bad, and not all agree with the lifestyle and mentality so many possess in their homeland. They could be much like some other people that left England long ago to get away from persecution and the like.
What about the ones born here or have lived here for years and years? Just as American as you or I.
Then I doubt that they would have much to worry about. Of course, I guess this isn't something the CIA has ever done beforehand anyway is it?
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
I never said they were all bad. But they have an agenda for being here, and it isn't all noble. Have you ever researched how the muslims are taking over Europe, one city, one neighborhood at a time? And declaring Sharia law? And local law enforcement are afraid to go into these slums? And the local and state officials are clueless? Or were, now they're seeing the light, but it's too late.
We all have an agenda for being here. And I havent heard of anything like that. This "punish em all, so we are sure we get the right one" doesn't work to well when its another right like the 2nd Amendment... this just isn't right in my eyes.
America has always had this mentality I guess. See American Indians for more info.
It will work out to a battle for survival. We need to close up the borders and protect some jobs- I hate to short change a group of people, but it will come to them or us.
Bookmarks